Friday, March 2, 2007

Lovework


My wife’s grandma gave us an advice on our wedding day. In English it goes something like this: “Don’t go to sleep when you are angry.” It is a good and solid advice. The essence of the advice is that we, as a married couple, should not go to sleep before we have agreed any quarrels we have.

I wish that I could say that we have always followed it. I can’t. For years we did, and it meant a lot of work. It sometimes takes hours to talk things through. And it’s worth it as making up has been always the best part of any argument we have.

But sometimes I am, or we are, just too tired. So we go to sleep. I never sleep well in nights like those and I know she doesn’t either. And in the morning we say we are sorry and that it feels bad and that we love.

Maybe it is the strength of our love that allows us to go to sleep feeling bad or mad. I still hope that we will have strength to follow the advice better. It is those hours of talk that strengthens our love.

3 comments:

Belle Etoile said...

Ephesians 4:26-27 says, "In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." God loves us so much, and knows us so intimately, to warn us not to go to sleep angry. Sleep is far more peaceful in the arms of our loved one, than in the shell of our anger.

This was a good reminder to all of us, Opax. Thank you.

opax said...

Wow! Thanks BE.

coolskool mom said...

I agree, sometimes it takes a long time to get through it all but in the end it was worth it.